Ayurvedic Natural Kohl Recipe
The use of Kohl as a beauty item dates back to ancient Egyptian and Indian civilizations. In India, mothers still continue to use Kohl on their new-born’s eyes to protect against the evil eye. With its roots penetrating the centuries-old cultures in the Eastern world, it is interesting that Kohl still retains its simplicity and is a common item in make-up kits across the globe.
However, due to the large-scale commercialization of cosmetics industry, a number of unwanted and potentially dangerous chemicals have crept into our daily lives. And kohl is no exception!
Lead sulphate, commonly known as Galena, is widely used in the preparation of Kohl eyeliners. Even globally reputed brands have found themselves caught in controversy for using dangerously high levels of lead.
The good news is that you can easily make your own kohl at home in less than ten minutes. In Egypt, women burn home-made muslin cloth in castor oil to obtain what they call sirma. This method is somewhat tedious and described below is a simpler DIY Ayurvedic kohl recipe.
You will need:
- An almond
- A long needle or knife
- Burner / Stove
- A flat plate, preferably earthen, but stainless steel would qualify
The process is really fast and amazingly simple. Just follow the steps below:
- Roast an almond on the burner for about five minutes. To do so safely, pierce the almond with a long needle or knife, so that you can hold it from a distance.
- In a few minutes, dark fumes will begin to emerge from the almond. When this happens, place the flat earthen plate 3-4 inches above the almond and hold it there.
- The fumes will deposit on the plate. You can hold the plate in place for as long as it takes to achieve the desired amount of kohl on it. Usually, 2-3 minutes are enough.
- You may add a drop of almond oil to the powdery kohl to get better consistency and ease of application.
And there you go! You can store the plate in your refrigerator and use the kohl for up to two months. Apply to the eyes using a clean fingertip or an eyeshadow brush.
So say goodbye to your expensive, lead-laden eyeliners and switch to clean, safe and herbal Ayurvedic kohl!