Ayurvedic Recipe -make your own organic lipstick
Lipsticks can be a health hazard, especially if used on a daily basis. In spite of the tall claims made by global cosmetics manufacturers, scientific studies are bringing to light some very shocking reports. A number of them have discovered dangerous levels of chemicals and heavy metals such as lead in lipsticks supplied by popular cosmetics brands.
Surely that does not mean that you have to dump your beloved make-up box. All you need to do is replace the chemical products with organic ones that are not only safe to use, but also good for your skin’s health.
Ayurvedic beauty products combine natural sources of color and nourishing and hydrating ingredients which nurture your skin from within. Given below is an Ayurvedic recipe that you can try at home and make your own organic lipstick.
You will need:
- 100 g castor/olive oil
- 25 g Jojoba oil
- 30 g Beeswax pearls
- 5 g Candelilla wax
- A few drops of wheat germ oil
- 30 g mica powder
- A colorant of your choice
Most of these ingredients such as beeswax and colorants can be bought on Amazon if you are unable to find them at a local store.
- Melt beeswax and Candelilla wax in a pan. It is better to use a double boiler instead of directly heating on a pan.
- Add the jojoba, wheat germ and castor/olive oils once the waxes are fully melted. You can choose between castor and olive oil, castor providing more shine.
- Next, add the mica powder and colorant. Mix well making sure that there are no clumps.
- Once you have obtained a uniform mixture, let it sit out for a while till it cools down completely. You will observe that the mixture tends to get thicker as it cools down. You can pour it in tubes or jars after it has cooled to an appropriate thickness.
Your organic lipstick is ready! Store it in the refrigerator to make it last longer.