Face peels are the perfect pick-me-up for tired, sullen or stressed skin and work by removing the top layer of dead and dying skin cells to reveal underlying fresh skin cells. First practised by the ancient Greek and Romans facial peels are among the oldest cosmetic procedures ever performed. Fast forward a few thousand years and there are many more choices in the facial peel department than the alabaster, milk and honey peels used by the ancients all those years ago.
These days alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) peels are popular and are being praised as a treatment for acne, uneven pigmentation and aging. However at an average cost of $200 and up per treatment it can be out of the budget for many.
But for those whose beauty regime is at the bottom of the budget there is natural alternative you can quickly and easily make your self (and you will likely have the ingredients required in your pantry!)
Begin by making this simple facial peel and experiment with different ingredients depending on the season or your skin requirements.
Essential Facial Peel
30gm Water (distilled or filtered is better)
7 gm Gelatine or Xanthum Gum (vegan)
30gm Aloe Vera (juice or gel)*
3gm Oil (Jojoba, Rosehip, Almond or Avocado Oils are perfect for face but you can use any oil at all)
*If you have Aloe Vera growing in the garden you can use this. You need the clear fleshy part in the middle. Heating the leaf (a few seconds in the microwave will do) will yield a clearer runny substance. To get to it you will need to slice off the spikey outer skin and then scrap the middle flesh out with a spoon.
- Bring the water to the boil in a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove pan from heat.
- Next add the aloe vera and oil and mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and refrigerate until the mixture thickens (about 30 minutes)
- Onto damp clean skin apply a thin even layer of the thickened gel over your face and neck (avoid eye area). Sit back and relax while the peel dries.
- Starting at your forehead carefully peel back the dried mask. Rinse your face with warm water.
*For a totally natural AHA mask add the juice of a strawberry or 1 teaspoon of papaya juice.
*For mature skin try adding 1 teaspoon of white kaolin clay or sea kelp powder.
*For oily skin add a few drops of rosemary oil and/or a few drops of Cypress oil.
If you have any mixture left over, store it in a small airtight container. Use within 1 week.