Acne is one of the most common skin problems – almost everyone has had to go through this painful phase during their teenage. For a few unlucky ones, it can last for decades.
The reason why acne and its resultant spots are so hard to treat is because it is majorly influenced by the intrinsic condition of our skin. While topical skin creams and lotions work wonderfully in treating sunburns, pigmentation and dryness, they seem relatively ineffective when it comes to curing pimples.
In a majority of cases, acne results from internal hormonal changes and the individual nature of our skin. Therefore, instead of trying to cover up the symptoms, Ayurveda can help you fix the root cause. Illustrated below are simple Ayurvedic techniques that you could try at home, and treat acne in a healthy, chemical-free way.
Ayurvedic Remedy for Acne:
- A paste of Ashwagandha, Indian Madder, Sandalwood and Licorice (root powder) is a great topical remedy for pimples and whiteheads. Each of these constituents performs different actions on the skin, such a purifying the blood, opening up clogged pores, and disinfection.
- For those with sensitive skin, you can also try a paste of soaked lentils and curd (yoghurt) to apply on your face. Adding a few drops of Neem oil to this paste will deep-cleanse your skin.
- The combinations of coriander-turmeric and garlic-yogurt are also effective Ayurvedic acne treatments. Use these in a paste form to apply on your face.
It is also necessary that you eat fibrous and fresh food. This will help improve digestion (constipation can lead to acne outbursts). Avoid spices, sweets and oily items. Additionally, juices of green leafy vegetables will help cleanse your system.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Blemishes and Scars:
- Soak a few almonds in the morning in a cup of water. At night, peel them and crush them into a paste. Add a few drops of milk to achieve desirable consistency. Apply it to blemished skin and leave it on overnight. You can see visible changes within two weeks.
- Rubbing a potato slice on the affected areas twice every day also helps lighten scars and spots.
- You can also use a fine paste of mint leaves. Let it stay on the skin for about 20 minutes and wash it off with cold water after.
Although you can pick an Ayurvedic treatment based on your convenience, it is best to use several remedies in rotation. Such practice will pump up your skin with more nutrients than any single remedy.