by Devika Rao
Toenail fungus is an embarrassing and very common problem faced by people all over the world. It mainly results in a painful and thick toenail. Mostly, the presence of this infection will deform and cause discoloration of your toenail and will make it dry, brittle, crumbly and thick enough to cut. Sometimes, these infections can even affect the nail bed. The infection on nail bed can cause pain and inflammation. Here is a list of home remedies that you can use to naturally treat toenail fungus:
Home remedy #1
Water, Vinegar &- Vitamin E
Use this solution to treat the fungus. To prepare the solution you need to combine equal amount of warm water and vinegar. Now soak the nail into the solution for about 15-20minutes. After the infected nail dries up rub Vitamin E oil over the nail for quick relief.
Home remedy #2
Application of Vicks Vapor Run is considered very beneficial in treating fungal infection. Take a little Vicks and rub it gently over the infected nail. This will allow you to attain a healthy, fungus free nails. Repeat twice a day for a few days until the infection heals.
Home remedy #3
Warm Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda
This method helps you get rid of toenail fungus by getting you to soak your feet in a solution of warm water with apple cider vinegar in it. Soak your feet in this solution for 15- 20 minutes. This gives you relief from pain and itching. You can also use undiluted vinegar which can be applied directly on your infected toenail, although this may cause some burning. Repeat twice a day.
Home remedy #4
Dilute some Listerine mouth wash with water and let the solution sit for 15-20 minutes. Now, soak your feet in this solution for 5-10 minutes. This remedy has been known to help people suffering from toenail fungus. Mouthwash, as we all know, was made to help fight fungus. In its diluted form it is a good remedy against toenail fungus.
Home remedy #5
Tea tree oil &- Vitamin E Oil
Tea Tree Oil is recommended to treat a lot of problems and has nutrients to help protect oneself. To treat toenail fungus, prepare a solution by mixing tea tree oil and vitamin E oil and rub it gently over the infected toe nail. Tea tree oils natural antibacterial properties make it easy for you to heal for toe. Repeat twice a day till the fungus disappears.
As always, prevention is better than the cure. If you take proper care of yourself, toenail fungus will never occur. Indeed, millions of people live their lives without ever experiencing this problem. Following the steps below is a great way to ensure you avoid toenail fungus:
- Make it a point to thoroughly wash your feet whenever you come home after visiting public places like swimming pools, spas, locker rooms or showers. Fungus grows quickly in warm, moist areas and when you step on a warm floor, you tend to lift the infection. If you wash your feet the moment you get home, and then dry your feet, chances of you picking up this infection fall.
- Wearing cotton socks whenever you step out can help you stave off infection. Cotton socks can help absorb moisture from the feet, moisture that is usually caused by sweating. This sweating is caused by excessive perspiration when we wear closed footwear for long, or are walking for long. Damp socks and shoes are breeding grounds for bacterial infection and they do not let your feet breathe. Picking socks that allow your feet to breathe and wearing shoes that are dry can help you avoid fungal growth.
- It is very essential to change your socks and shoes as often as you can to avoid any kind of infections. Usage of same ones for quite a longer period can raise the risk of infections.
- If your daily routine gets your feet wet easily, then use antifungal powder. Antifungal powder will inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi on your feet if you sprinkle it regularly on your feet.
- You can also avoid fungal growth by not sharing towels or personal items with people who have a bacterial infection. Simple logic leads us to conclude that sharing damp items that have been previously used by people with a bacterial infection could lead to us getting an infection. If possible, ask the person who is suffering from this infection to keep separate towels and then dispose of them afterwards.
These options work for most people but pick one which you think will work best for you. Knowing your skin type and whether you have any allergic reactions will help you make a better decision as to which remedy can help treat your toenail fungus better.
Ygoy is a health website that deals with different medical conditions, therapies, beauty and lifestyle. The nail care section of the website deals with a range of topics from nail art to nail disorders. Visit nailcare.ygoy.com for more articles on nail care.